Go to the following: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/coulombs-law and click Play!
- Select “Macro scale”
- Before continuing with the online simulation, Define COULOMB’S LAW. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- What happens to the electrostatic force between two charged objects if the distance between objects is increased? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Using the simulation, set charge 1 equal to -4 μC and charge 2 equal to +8 μC. Move q1 to 2 cm and q2 to 6 cm on the ruler. How many cm apart are the objects? ______________________________________________________________________
What are the values of the force between the two charges? _____________________
- Which one of Newton’s Laws explains why each object exerts the same force on the other object? ____________________________________________________________
- Move q1 to 4 cm on the ruler. How many cm apart are the objects? ________________ What are the values of the force between the two charges? ______________________
What do you notice happened to the force as the distance between objects decreased?
As the distance was cut in half, the value of the force increased by how many times? _______________________________________________________________________
- Now move q1 to 0 cm so they are now 6 cm apart. What did you notice about the value of the force as the distance between objects increased? _______________________________________________________________________
- Change charge 2 to -8 μC. What did you observe about the forces? What happen to the direction of the forces (look at the direction arrow on top of the dashed line)? ________________________________________________________________________
- Make a statement about the relationship between “distance” and “force” between two charged charges based on your observations from this lab. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________