Technological change is not additive; it is ecological. A new medium does not add something; it changes everything.
- Summarize in your own words the information about new technologies that you have gathered from your research (please reference everything, even your own opinion).
- Should be a minimum of 1-2 pages in length ( no cover page required).
- Provide references at the end.
- Reference Neil Postman’s ideas about new technology when appropriate (pdf file attached).
As you prepare publication, the five ideas about new technology that Neil Postman presented in 1998, and Westerhof
Here is a link: http://www.michaelzimmer.org/2008/01/04/neil-postm…
1. The first idea is that all technological change is a trade-off. Every new technology introduces advantages and disadvantages.
2. This leads to the second idea, which is that the advantages and disadvantages of new technologies are never distributed evenly among the world’s populace. There are always winners and losers.
3. Embedded in every technology there is a powerful idea, sometimes two or three powerful ideas. These ideas are not immediately apparent and sometimes abstract. But the idea will be there and its impact may turn out to dwarf the technology itself.
3. Technological change is not additive; it is ecological. A new medium does not add something; it changes everything.
4. Adopted Technologies become mythic. The existence of new technologies, once they diffuse to regular use are taken for granted as though they have always been there and they cannot possibly be removed.