All Students must answer question #1. From the remaining 4 questions, choose 1 additional question and answer that question. It is suggested to use textbook or course reading documents to support your claims. Be sure to cite sources where appropriate.
- Describe three factors that help to influence our nation’s focus on natural or man-made disasters.
- What issues have been raised concerning some of the authorities granted to government agencies in the PATRIOT Act? How have those issues been addressed?
- Should FEMA fall under DHS, or should it be its own cabinet level organization? Why?
- Define Mitigation and Preparedness. Compare and contrast the ideas of each, and give examples to highlight your statements.
- Compare and contrast two natural disasters. Provide examples on how they are similar and different regarding early detection, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery.
Journal submission requirements:
- Each answer should be two typed, double spaced pages.
- Use the normal standard of 12-font, double-spaced, Times New Roman.
The requirement for this response is a minimum of 300 words, but no more than 450 words. Please answer both questions.
- Identify and discuss who are the traditional gatekeepers of information and “first informers”. Compare and contrast how they gather and share information and whether traditional gatekeepers should feel threatened by new technologies and the speed in which information is transmitted?
- In 2011, the HSAS was replaced by the NTAS. Explain the reasons for the change. Do you agree that the new system is a more effective warning tool? Please cite examples that support your opinion.